Sunday 16 August 2015

Completed: Letter Cushions

If you blog, do you post everything you sew? I usually do. There have been very few exceptions where good intentions have fallen by the wayside, but I have pretty much blogged everything single thing I have sewn since I started Grosgrain Green, 2.5 years ago. Sometimes I wonder if you are interested in every little thing, but I still feel obliged – like somehow to not blog something is dishonest. But, as I’m sure you know, writing posts, taking and editing photos: it’s all quite time consuming and labour intensive, particularly as when I write I tend to divulge every single thought and every single stage of the process. I waffle. I do it in real life too. Believe me, the posts you are reading are the edited version.
So, I thought I’d try something new. For some posts, where really not much narration is involved, I’ll keep the chat to a minimum and let the photos do the talking. I think this will be particularly useful when I post my 104th Scout Tee. And for projects like this one.

Although, having said that, there is a back story to this project. So, errr, I haven't done a very good job of keeping this one short, after all!

My mum sewed initial shaped cushions for my sister and I when we were kids. They were pink, with darker pink hearts. We shared a pink Laura Ashley bedroom, it was the 80’s and we were girly girls. Earlier this year, my sister decorated her daughter’s bedroom, and as my sister and my niece have the same first initial, my sis asked our mum if she still had the cushions kicking about. She didn’t, but it led to a conversation between my mum and I on how we could replicate the cushions, because of course, then I wanted to make them for the boys. A quick Google later, and we found McCall's 3274, which we are pretty confident is the same pattern. My mum bought it and lent it to me.
Baby Boy’s is the F, which is made in Small World by Made by Rae, from Cloud 9. It’s organic baby cord, and is lovely stuff. I bought it in John Lewis.

Small Boy’s is the letter E. He chose the Dr Seuss fabric in Remnant Kings (general link to shop -can't see it on their website, sorry), and it says on the selvedge that it’s Robert Kaufman.

I did consider pattern placement for the Dr Seuss version, only because Small Boy is only familiar with a few of characters/books so I wanted to feature those. I had the stuffing left over from Kit the Doll. I still have tons left, so if anyone wants some, let me know!
Oh My God, it was an ordeal getting these photos. I thought it would be cute to get the 2 of them together holding the cushions, but they did not like it, not one little bit (wink). What follows is the best of a bad lot. Still, it's pretty cute!
"Don't want to hold the stupid cushion".

"I'd rather hold this plastic jug. Far superior toy."
"Is she still there?"
Nice interaction. Zero product placement.

Me: "Turn them round, they are back to front". Him, looking at them from his side: "No they're not!"


On a completely unrelated note, Small Boy starts school tomorrow. 
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Haha this is hilarious! I just had to explain to my husband why I was laughing at my phone. The cushions look great though, and your boys are very cute models even if they're not very good at product placement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Should have bribed them with biscuits! :)

      Delete
  2. These are fab, and the photos are brilliant! Good Luck for E tomorrow, hope he has a fab time and you don't cry too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! And your photos are so perfectly real - much better than perfectly posed :) Hope that E had a wonderful first day oxo
    PS: Nice Dr Seuss quotage!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

© Grosgrain Green | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig