Tuesday 5 February 2013

Sew Grateful - Thank You!

Debi's Sew Grateful theme today is reflection...

I already documented how I got into sewing, and why I've recently started blogging here. But I can definitely expand on this...

Inspiration
I initially started engaging with the online community as a source of inspiration. I often struggled (and still do) with the sometimes dated pics on the front of patterns - I am a shopper of RTW who is drawn to colour and pattern first - and often couldn't see the potential in a lot of patterns. Blogs gave me access to others' interpretation of these patterns, which gave a lot more scope to my sewing and imagination. Seeing bloggers make alterations to these patterns to make them their own, further fired up my creativity and suddently the possibilities were absolutely endless and sewing (already interesting seemed so much more exciting!).

Inspiration for next Charlotte? (Source)
Indies
I am forever grateful to the online community for introducing me to world of independant pattern makers. Colette, Megan Nielsen, Victory, Sewaholic, By Hand London, Maria Denmark, Cake... the list goes on, and I LOVE these patterns. They are just so much more "me" than most patterns by the Big 4 and the attention to detail in the patterns, instructions and packaging (where appropriate) makes the whole thing so much more enjoyable, not to mention the handy sewalongs!

Variation on a Peony? (Source)
Sense of Belonging
I am often blown away by the kindness, generosity, patience and inclusiveness I encounter on fellow bloggers' pages. So many people take the time to share their knowledge and prepare tutorials, to answer questions and to just provide support. I guess sewing could feel quite exclusive - with all the terminology, kit (that could be perceived as necessary) and knowledge required but all bloggers I have encountered ensure this is not the case and in fact go out of their way to make things accessable and fun! I have yet to meet any of these lovely people in person, but I am hopeful that I will do some time soon.

Thanks to Tilly! (Source)

My Style
In addition to providing inspiration on patterns I already own or fancy, what I think is incredible is that the online sewing community has actually made me more confident in my own sense of style. Looking at the differing styles of so many people also proves inspirational in that I am definitely less "fashion" led (read "dictated to by magazines") and more led by what I like, what suits me and what I think looks nice. I now look at magazines, Pinterest etc and use them as a source of inspiration, thinking at the same time "I wonder if/how I could make that...", rather than coveting the actual items, and this to me feels very positive. Check out my Pinterest board called Sewing Inspiration if you don't believe me!

So, thank you everyone for all of this! I am Sew Grateful to all of you!
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Fantastic post! I also love seeing people's iterations of sewing patterns--it really does inspire me as well! I hope you get to do your first meet-up soon...they are so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi! And thanks for the inspiration for the post!

      Yes, hopefully I will manage a meet up soon - they look like so much fun! :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a great post! I love what you said about the sewing community helping you be confident in your own sense of style - I completely relate to that. And going by the two projects you outlined in your January post, you have every reason to be confident! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Danielle, and thanks for visiting and commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

© Grosgrain Green | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig